buildersinventions

The home for inventors in the construction industry

New here and want to start a discussion on how to make this site both inventor friendly and contractor friendly

I have some ideas to make this site the place to be for invention and getting products to market.

1. Have a separate listing for videos to show prospective investors or sales. Have a list with the names of the inventions and the link to your home page to see them.

2. Have groups or topic categories for patent advice, licensing advice, marketing advice and keep them in the category so the inventor can find the info they seek without going through 100 discussions mixed together.

3.Every member here post a link to this site announcing the site helps inventors on their face book page of linked in groups or any social media they belong to.

I see a great potential here to be a great place for inventors to learn and get advice from those who are really here to help and not sell invention promotion services.

The biggest problem for inventors is what to do and how to do it and not to get ripped off by invention promotion companies. Remember these companies profit from you not what they get licensed, their licensing percentages are less than 1%, they have a .00 before the actual number so its less than 1%. So how do you think they pay their bills with a less than 1% licensing success rate ? You the inventor pay them and they will tell you any invention is great to get you to sign and pay.

Add your suggestions and lets get some members here, do your part and we all benifit !

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello John,

great ideas!  I just set up discussion categories so we can track these talks by topic. 

Thanks,

Mike

I agree that these would be helpful. I'm wondering how the site owner gets paid for having this site available.  You can only be generous for so long before you need to get something in return. 

Jeff H.

I Paid for a course on how to file a provisional. Do you want me to paste the stuff for free here? It won't have the videos but it is still good stuff.

John,

All good suggestions. I particularly like number 3. It'd be a great way to get the word out if enough would actually do it. My experience is that many think it's a good idea but won't really do it. Not because they don't like the site, but for some other reason. I could be wrong with the members here though. I know I'd announce it or follow it on FB.

Relating to number 2. What would your thoughts be if there was another site already set up to do what you call for in number 2? It's a member based site that charges a small yearly fee of $12.00, and covers everything you mention and a lot more.

JOHN 

your right on with your advice I love the concept of this site but it seems that it dosnt move very much . What I mean is not a lot of activity going on there is a long time between post . We need more following members and a better way to post and show our products and inventions . This Is a good site that could be great we must also piggy back with MADE IN AMERICA  sites to show off our great ideas and bring attention to this site but also our products . This site has to be made more aware of on the web ,facebook ,linkedin  and any other social network site so whenever we post a new product it will automatically go to those sites .  My invention / product is now selling in the U.S and Canada its really starting to catch on with contractors who like me carry a lot of tools and have no way of hauling large building materials like drywall, plywood ,doors and lumber on the inside of their vans and pickups without moving or removing their tools and equipment . My side mounted cargo racks can a contractor time space and money every time they use them and for not a lot of money. My Cargo Rackz are MADE IN AMERICA  and guaranteed for life . My customers are telling me how simple and easy these racks are every day in emails . Check out my video on youtube at  sidejob cargo racks  " the rack for you" and  " haul like a pro " Contractors love using these side racks and tell me they thought of doing this 10 years ago but didn't do anything about it so now their buying mine    cargorackz.com   

Hello Richard,

Thanks for starting this discussion. I went through the entire process of inventing and it is a minefield.

I like how you customized your own page. nice work!

Hello John and others,

I agree with your constructive criticism of this site. I created BuildersInventions after I lost my shirt with my invention, the Cordsnake. I did everything by the book, 100%, and almost got into Home Depot when the economy tanked and everything shut down. I met many great builder-inventors at the trade shows I had attended. So I set this site up as a meeting place.

However, I have not had the time to fully engage here. It's good to see some activity started by the members. 

I am seriously considering a complete overhaul of BINV, including a way for the members to directly sell their inventions to the public through an online store. The original BINV had this feature and it was working. But it had several drawbacks, including the high cost of the webmaster to make changes. That problem has been solved with the use of Wordpress as a platform. Also, any sales need to go through the member's own sales link so the member gets paid directly and fulfills the order directly.

all the best,

Mike

bryon bierman said:

JOHN 

your right on with your advice I love the concept of this site but it seems that it dosnt move very much . What I mean is not a lot of activity going on there is a long time between post . We need more following members and a better way to post and show our products and inventions . This Is a good site that could be great we must also piggy back with MADE IN AMERICA  sites to show off our great ideas and bring attention to this site but also our products . This site has to be made more aware of on the web ,facebook ,linkedin  and any other social network site so whenever we post a new product it will automatically go to those sites .  My invention / product is now selling in the U.S and Canada its really starting to catch on with contractors who like me carry a lot of tools and have no way of hauling large building materials like drywall, plywood ,doors and lumber on the inside of their vans and pickups without moving or removing their tools and equipment . My side mounted cargo racks can a contractor time space and money every time they use them and for not a lot of money. My Cargo Rackz are MADE IN AMERICA  and guaranteed for life . My customers are telling me how simple and easy these racks are every day in emails . Check out my video on youtube at  sidejob cargo racks  " the rack for you" and  " haul like a pro " Contractors love using these side racks and tell me they thought of doing this 10 years ago but didn't do anything about it so now their buying mine    cargorackz.com   

Hi Jeff,

This site has been and continues to be a free service to builder-inventors. If I proceed with the next version, which includes an online store, then I will have to charge a monthly membership fee. This can link with other membership fee-based services.

Mike

Jeff Hitzler said:

I agree that these would be helpful. I'm wondering how the site owner gets paid for having this site available.  You can only be generous for so long before you need to get something in return. 

Jeff H.

I am considering all these upgrades, plus more.

stay in touch,

Mike

Hello John,

those are all really good points. The site needs an upgrade. It's good to map out all the possibilities. The current platform is ok, sort of. It was never intended to the the final platform. 

1. Yes, to video section with links.

2. The current discussions are mixed up. Are you thinking of a forum with discussion topics?

3.Yes, every member should link to this site. I can provide logo for link.

4. an online store that allows members to sell their invention directly to customers. All billing and fulfillment handled by the members. This site then charges a monthly subscription to cover costs.

There are a lot of good ideas mentioned.  I am a professional inventor and recognize so many of the problems inventors face.  I created a free website http://inventoreducator.com/ to help guide inventors through the process.  I would be happy to offer any free advise as well. 

The success of this site .... as with all sites and businesses .... is marketing the site.  I found it through a list of companies who accept inventions .... nice job there. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Mike.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service